Monday, November 5, 2012

Western side to Eastern side

I recently drove from western Washington to eastern Washington to visit a college. I have made the drive over there many times in my life, and every time I go through the same thought process.

We begin the trip going up the I-5 freeway, as if we were going to Seattle. We fight the traffic of Joint-Base Lewis McChord, we pass by the industrial city of Tacoma, and hang a right by the Enchanted Village. I tend to reminisce on this drive, remembering every adventure I've had between there and Olympia. We then enter the suburb area of Auburn and what not. The traffic dies down, and we eventually get to another hook right that takes us to the interstate that goes all the way across the state.

First up, through the gorgeous mountain pass. I like to think about how awesome it was to people like Lewis and Clark, discovering it for the first time. How massive and awesome it is. Now, however, people like us drive over it like its no big deal. Through the pass we stop for a rest at a nice pizza place/rest stop. Only cause we know its the last major stop for a while. We then continue on the trek, passing small rural communities. Passing some unpronounceable indian reservations.

We start descending into the farm land that is central Washington. Fields upon fields upon fields of various farm lands. We start to pass tractors like we used to pass department stores! We pass through one of the only place to grab a bite to eat, Ellensburg. This highway is at length a straight line, curving only for farm hills. As we trudge through this expanse of mindlessly straight road I begin to think that we've found it! We have actually found the road to nowhere! There is no end in sight! Only golden wheat fields as far as the eye can see! I get so excited that I have solved one of the worlds great mysteries that I want to share it with the world! Oh... Wait.... theres nobody within miles of us to talk to, except for tuck drivers who are also on the road. So I decide to keep the finding to myself. :) This is also where I question the overpopulation spectators. Have they ever been on this road!? Cause I'm pretty sure it refutes whatever arguments they have! The excitement of finding the road to nowhere wears off after about 3 hours on this road. We pass some gas stations that probably haven't been touched in decades, some more tractors, and LOTS of political signs.... I begin to ache for a restaurant of any kind! Some sign of modern day living!

Then we enter the final threshold of our journey. Just when I think I might throw-up if I see another tractor, we start to see trees. They at least make me feel like we are not the only living organisms on the planet anymore! We start to see signs to towns again. We see signs to universities (cause apparently most people put those in the middle of nowhere) and we are sent down into what I fondly call the "valley of civilization". Where I can see a city, with light poles on the free way, other cars on the road, and no tractors in sight! To others its less glorious and known as the Spokane Valley. But that is where our journey ends and where I will leave you all. If you've ever made this drive I hope this made you smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment