Thursday, November 8, 2012

What I learned on a campaign (Part 1)

Working on a gubernatorial campaign has shed boundless light on the political process and how a campaign works! So I am comprising a list of things I have learned that I didn't already previously know! Enjoy!
1. By the end of the campaign you will hate people.... you will hate talking to strangers cause they generally hate talking to you (on the phone). I have had nights where I felt like maybe, if I hit my head on the desk long enough, all the annoying people and rude jerks on the face of the planet will disappear. Or at least I'll become numb to it!
2. You will learn to have a 15 minute conversation on some political issue with someone while typing an email to your father and texting your BFF about saturday night. Then when you hang up you do it all over again. Sometimes you can't even remember what you said!
3. Callers seem to think you have a magic link to tell the candidate anything and everything, when in reality you have shaken his or her hand maybe once.
4. Multitudes of people believe that us calling voters is illegal, and we should be in jail for calling them at the, and I quote, "the ungodly hour of 6 o'clock!"......... To which I remind them of our 1st ammendment right to freedom of speech and that they don't HAVE TO answer the question if they dont want. But instead they feel the need to repeat their disgust with me seven times over.
5. Some people are going to be rude and cranky to you no matter what. I learned to not take it personally pretty quickly. Because if I had, I would be curled up in a helpless and hopeless ball of a person on a nightly basis.
6. Yard signs may seem important to the visibility of the campaign, but they honestly don't influence much, cost more money to produce than profits sold, and take up precious space in the campaign office and cause little interns, such as myself, great amounts of physical labor and time. Besides, what in the world do you do with them after the election is over!?
7. The stereotypes are sadly, yet overwhelmingly true! Older people can't hear you and young people are pretty naive.
8. Caffeine becomes a substitute for oxygen.
9. Volunteers will come in and "strongly suggest" a way we could say or do something better, to which we politely smile and nod, but not really do, cause there is well coordinated system in place that everyone follows. Then when they come in again they expect their suggestion to be implemented..... And often get upset that it wasn't. Between opinionated volunteers and opinionated voters, sometimes you just can't win.
10. If there is food in the kitchen you better get there quickly! Good food is a rare treat!
11. The cute office dog becomes your best friend when you are phone banking :)

More to come in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment