Monday, April 29, 2013

Deciding on a college (WWU vs WSU)

I can't speak for every high school senior in this post, but I can say for myself, this last week has been agonizing! I had to commit to a college! I had been admitted to all the colleges I applied to (all 5) which was great! But deciding was a terribly difficult choice! They all had the program I wanted! My dream school was the first one out, it was to expensive, even with financial aid. Then the state schools were left. I live in the great state of Washington, which left Washington State Universiy, Western Washington University, and Central Washington University as my choices. I did not even apply to the University of Washington... It was not the direction I wanted to go. I decided against central a few weeks ago... Mainly because of its location. Not the most pleasant place to spend four years of your youth. Which left western and WSU as my agonizing last two options.
They both had the program I wanted! They both had nice housing! I liked them both for different reasons. The location of western was better, and their tuition was cheaper. But their undergraduate program I like would take five years to complete. Making the price about the same as WSU's for four years. The dorm life seemed better at WSU and the program would only take four years to complete. WSU was also a different environment than the western washington atmosphere I have lived in my whole life... Something new. Also, WSU offered me some subsidized loans (meaning the government pays the interest) and western only offered me unsubsidized loans (Uncle Sam wouldn't be paying my loan interest). Among other things, I had to wait to hear back from western forever! They kept me on the waiting list for so long before admitting me.
I lost a lot of sleep. I took extra long showers weighing my options... Picturing what it would be like at both universities. I prayed hard about my decision. I had always pictured a college like western... But the idea of paying an extra year of tuition with only unsubsidized loans to help, made me cringe. It felt to me like western was saying "hey, you are our second round pick, and we won't help you get an education efficiently... Or help you financially, but come next fall if you want!"
I didn't like that feeling I was getting.
I chose Washington State University! They admitted me quickly and seem more invested in getting me the education in the time frame I want. And though the financial aid is no "full ride", it's better than western.
My dilemma of choosing is over! It feels like the weight of the world is off my shoulders. I can now look forward to prepping for graduation and starting my fall semester in college.
To any senior who is still trying to make that decision. I feel for you, and try not to listen to anyone but yourself. Everyone has an opinion about the decision. Key thing to remember that they have OPINIONS. Not facts. Only your opinions trump in the end of this decision.

Now that this is past me I will be posting a lot more! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment