Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Story Problems

OK.... Anyone that knows me can tell you I don't like math, I fully accept that notion. I am not good at it, I have had numerous tutors, teachers, and friends help me with it. And even a clinical psychologist! I can barely scrape by! But thats beyond the point of this post. The point of this post is the unit we are doing in my math class..... Linear Programming. (aka-story problems) A lot of things in math bother me. I often sit there and wonder how I am EVER going to use this in everyday life! And that question often has no real answer at the end either. But story problems just get on my last nerve! They are the biggest waste of my time!
"I'm so glad I spent an hour and a half solving hypothetical financial manufacturing problems!" - Said nobody ever.....
Here is an example of a problem I had to do: "The Future Homemakers Club (could they think of a worst hypothetical organization?) is making canvas tote bags and leather tote bags for a money making project. Both types of tote bags will be lined with canvas and have leather handles. For the canvas tote bags, they need 4 yards of canvas and 1 yard of leather. For the leather tote bags, they need 3 yards of leather and 2 yards of canvas. Their advisor has purchased 56 yards of leather and 104 yards of canvas. Determine the number of canvas bags at a profit of $20 each and the leather bags $35 each, write a function for the total profit of the bags."
My response: WHO FREAKING CARES!?!?!?!
There is no practical application to doing this busy work! Nobody does this in real life! I feel like I could be so much more productive! I have a long to-do list (college apps, work, church, chores, clubs, college class, ect...)  and its on hold because the Future Homemakers Club can't figure out their own problems! I have challenged every math teacher on this subject. I flat out ask why we are doing this, I ask them what the point is, and how we are ever going to use this! And the reaction is always the same. Their bodies slouch a little, their mouths crook in a stumped manner, and I can see it in their eyes.... they are caught! Their brain frantically searches for an answer, and when they finally speak, they say "it teaches you to problem solve."
I can think of 100,000 other ways to teach someone to problem solve without using bull-crap hypothetical mathematical problems. Whenever I hear a teacher give that answer, I hear "there really isn't, its just busy work." Not all math is busy work, but story problems are. I learn to problem solve at work, when I'm dealing with multiple volunteers that come in all at once, and need to be trained by me and coached on the process of phone banking. I deal with problem solving when talking to voters and their political issues. I deal with problem solving at church working with preschoolers on any given sunday. I deal with problem solving when 5 different people in my house have 5 different schedules and need to go 5 different places. I deal with money problem solving when budgeting my shopping trips and cupcake runs :) But to say that doing these math problems teaches you to problem solve is just not true.... I've also heard it teaches you to work through something you don't want to do.... which is true, but I don't need math to do that for me. I have dentist appointments, chores, and getting shots to do that for me! If math taught me practical applications to my life, I think I would be way more inclined to learn. But I just will never need to find the area and circumference of a lake, or the function for the profit made from selling tote bags....
I'll leave you with this little beauty:

1 comment:

  1. "I have a long to-do list (college apps, work, church, chores, clubs, college class, ect...) and its on hold because the Future Homemakers Club"
    I died laughing. Hahahahaha. :)

    ReplyDelete